Skip navigation

Information for Renters and Landlords

Housing should be a basic human right. But because of COVID-19 we know renters and landlords are struggling to pay rent or their mortgage due to lost income. What has not helped during these already stressful times, is the confusion and uncertainty the rules and concessions around renting.

The the PM declaring a rental evictions moratorium for 6 months - however, each state has chosen different way in which to 'implement' this. To help answer some of the most common questions about renting, we have compiled information from South Australia's trusted tenant support agencies.

Frequently Asked Questions 

Can my landlord evict me?
The state Government has announced that a landlord will not be able to evict a tenant if they are unable to pay their rent due to the loss of income or employment as a result of COVID-19. You still need to talk to your agent if you have concerns about paying your rent or being evicted for any other reason. You can ask to make alternative payment arrangements. If you can’t reach an agreement, the landlord may apply to the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) to try to resolve the matter.

If my rent is reduced for now, will I be expected to pay it later? 
At this stage, nothing has been announced to say that outstanding rent money will not have to be paid back, once this pandemic is over. The safest option is to assume that the rent debt will still need to be repaid until told otherwise

If I get money from Centrelink, will my rent go up?
During this time, a landlord can not increase the rent of a residential tenancy. Tenants in public housing are usually charged a portion of their income as rent. People who receive many types of welfare payment will receive additional COVID-19 stimulus support payments. SA Housing and community housing tenants will not have to pay increased rent because of this additional income. 

For more information about changes to renting in South Australia, please see the websites below:

Tias advisors are experts in helping people to navigate the challenges of renting and stay in their homes.
or call 1800 060 462

South Australian Civil and Administrative Appeals Tribunal is where civil law disputes or applications, such as those that relate to landlord/tenant relationships are resolved. 
or call 1800 723 767

Consumer and Business Services is where all rental bonds are held in South Australia. 
or call 131 882

Sign the petition to protect renters and homeowners who are facing financial uncertainty during this time of crisis.

Please note that the information above is specific to residents in South Australia only. 

Not in SA? There are services across the country who can help:

What is your renters story?

Everyone's doing it tough right now - but while homeowners are being given payment breaks, tenants are still expected to fork out the same rent as before the pandemic.

Telling renters to ‘work it out’ with their landlords doesn’t mean much when they hold all the cards.

Rather than trying to please their big donor mates, governments need to do more to make sure that renters and landlords alike aren't hit with crippling rental debt or mortgage debt when this crisis is over.

Share your #rentingstory

We’d like to tell your stories so everyone knows that the government’s “help” isn’t going far enough.

Open Instagram or hop on Twitter and use #RentingStories, or share your story here:

Continue Reading

Read More